Senior Director of Engineering, IT Applications
Wage & Hour Status:
The Manager, Engineering – Software Development is responsible for providing direction on and executing software development practices that support our mission critical business applications, as well as running day-to-day operations of software development and application support processes. This role will work closely with other IT managers and architects to define and execute IT strategy in close alignment with business strategy. The individual must be able to perform each essential duty in order to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical guidance, career development, and mentoring of team members
- Manage performance and growth of direct reports via ongoing feedback, annual reviews and performance management processes
- Maintain high morale and keep engineers engaged and motivated
- Manage software development resources across multiple projects, sourcing and developing technical staff as required
- Employ engineering best practices to ensure delivery of high-quality, value-driven, operationally efficient features that support our technology platform and business initiatives
- Work closely with technical leads to create development estimates and maintain detailed timelines that meet project schedules and expectations
- Guide technologists on making sound decisions that support company priorities, while promoting clarity, understanding and alignment among cross-functional delivery team members
- Interface with Business, QA, Project Management, Operations and other teams to ensure high quality delivery of software projects on time and on budget
- Work closely with architects to ensure that the software engineers comply to architecture standards and best practices that promote performance, scalability, security, and recoverability
- Communicate effectively with all levels, keeping leaders apprised of strategies, operational progress, issues, concerns, mitigation, and remediation plans
- Manage relationships and coordinate work between different teams, including resources working remote and offshore time zones
- Contribute technically to projects and provide hands-on support
- Enforce the Change and Release Management process for all software-related changes
- Facilitate technical discussions and drive solutions forward to achieve business needs and ensure alignment to strategic technology vision
- Self-motivated attitude with the ability to multitask and thrive in a timeline-driven environment
- Ability to collaborate with many other teams and to give/take constructive criticism
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, engineering or related field
- Minimum of 10 years of Software engineering experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing a team of technical resources; effectively evaluate, hire and retain top talent
- Experience managing vendors and managed services providers, including off-shore resources
Knowledge and Skills
- Full stack development and Architecture experience.
- Experience in SQL is required and good knowledge in query optimization and data analysis
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics 365
- Experience with Azure DevOps and deploying, monitoring services in Azure
- Solid problem-solving background with knowledge of algorithms and design patterns.
- Good Unit Testing and Integration Testing practices
- Demonstrated ability to manage resources and work across multiple projects
- Demonstrated effective leadership and building culture of innovation, ownership, and accountability
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, strong problem solving skills and ability to deal with ambiguous situations
- Experience with managing the day-to-day activities of an engineering team using Agile/Scrum processes
The physical demands described in this section are to be representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Job requires 80% sitting and 20% moving about the office
- Significant amounts of time spent at a PC using keyboard and/or mouse
The work environment characteristics described in this section are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent interaction with employees of different departments and divergent skills with WCIRB software and hardware
- Occasional periods of high stress and moments requiring quick, knowledgeable decision-making
Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. As such, the job description may be reviewed depending on the WCIRB’s needs. Further, this job description is a general summary of responsibilities and requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive of the responsibilities and requirements of this position.
Key Search Words
Manager, Software Engineering, Software Development, .NET, C#, Integration, Database Development, Azure, Agile